Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Message

As I pondered over sharing a message with my family about Christmas. I wanted to get a new feel for what the Christmas season is all about. Yes, the birth of Christ is the reason for the season but I wanted a fresh point of view. I wanted a life's lesson.

I read a devotional in Crosswalk this morning that helped me see some things from a different perspective. The perspective from the shepherds that were out in the fields. Minding their own business when they were interrupted from whatever they were doing. Sleeping, tending sheep, living.... hmmm I was on to something.

I saw something different this time... "The shepherds". You see the shepherds were lowly people down casts of society. They were very smelly and dirty from tending their sheep, did I mention smelly. In Luke 2 verse 8 (NIV) it says they were "living" out in the field with their sheep.

We know the rest of the story. The angel of the lord appeared to them and told them not to be afraid etc... OK, lets take a small step back. The angel of the lord....hey the angel of the lord thought they (the shepherds) were worthy enough to tell them a life changing secret. That God is here on earth to save the world and to save them.

Now read and think a little further, Luke 2:17 : they (the shepherds) were used by God to spread the good news all around them. So, all around them were people they new from their sphere of influence. I can only imagine that the lowliest of society were honored to be thought worthy to see Jesus and believe, when the rest of society didn't think them worthy of anything. So why did God think them more worthy than the kings and rulers of the day? I think it's simple. The shepherds are an example of all who hear the gospel story. It is played out right before our eyes in this biblical message.

As a lowly shepherd, God wants you to accept him from where you are. He stands at the door and knocks. He has a message he wants to deliver and he is waiting for you to respond. No matter how dirty you are with all your sins. You may be dressed in your bathrobe with morning breath and hung over from the night before but he is knocking. He wants you to see Jesus and believe no matter what you've been doing. So answer the door, accept him into your life and you will be transformed beyond your comprehension.

Christmas Eve Message from Crosswalk